DREAMWEAVERS OCTOBER 2019 COURSES
Dementia in the Black Community
Venue: Pilgrim Church, (church hall), Meadows, NG2 2DF
Dates: Tuesday 1 October for 4 weeks (20hrs)
Times: 10am to 3.30pm
Facilitators: Dr Mary Tilki, Lisa Robinson, Dr Rose Thompson
This course uses a different way of thinking about memory loss/dementia. It is about challenging contemporary notions of people with dementia and focussing on ourselves, how we think about and behave towards people with memory loss. Because of the ways in which dementia is viewed in society, those who experience memory loss can be stigmatised and deprived of their rights. This training is an attempt to put ourselves in the shoes of people with memory loss/dementia and their carers, to open our hearts and minds and to welcome and retain them in our community. Ultimately the course will help to start planning a Caribbean Memories Café (dementia café) in the Meadows.
By the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Challenge contemporary negative perspectives on dementia, exploring ways to maintain independence and quality of life
- Describe the experience of memory loss/ dementia for the individual and from family caregiver’s perspective
- Consider the personhood of the person with memory loss/dementia, taking particular account of cultural factors
- Explore the basic skills needed to communicate with and respect people who have memory loss
- Examine ways of connecting with, supporting and empowering people with memory loss and their carers
Booking essential. Contact Bright Ideas Nottingham, 07989 302 571
#DreamWeavers: FREE courses for adults NOT in paid employment
At the first session of every course, students design the course with the tutor to ensure that it covers the subjects that you want.
All courses will enable you to build your confidence, make new contacts and feel more positive about yourself and your future. No previous experience or knowledge is required.
All courses provide support to students to help you get the most out of your time with us.
NOTE: Times, dates and venues may be subject to change so please join our text list for updates: 07989 302 571